Thursday, July 24, 2008

Avenue Q



Last night was an interesting experience. David and I went to see "Avenue Q" at the Belk theatre in uptown Charlotte with Scott and Mindie, some friends of ours. Here are some facts about the show. It won the Tony award in 2004, beating out my personal, all-time favorite musical, "Wicked". The main characters are puppets, similar to the cute muppets we grew up with on Sesame Street. But let me tell you, this show is unlike anything you will EVER see on Sesame Street! I recommend this musical for mature audiences only. I wouldn't even take my teenager to see it (if I had one).

I know that David, Scott and Mindie really enjoyed the show. Where I enjoyed it, I didn't laugh nearly as much as they did. I guess I'm just old-fashioned at heart. As much as I try to fit in and enjoy more "modern" humor, it's just not that funny to me. Now, let me clear things up a bit. The song "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" was funny. BUT, I guess it also saddens my heart just a bit because it's true. I'm such an idealist and romantic that I want everyone to get along! Why do we have to be even a little bit racist?

The song "The More You Ruv Someone" is quite funny...mainly because I can relate to it! Pre-marriage I might've been schocked by this with my romanticist ideals, but now I know that it's really pretty accurate. Here are some of the lyrics:

The more you love someone,
The more you want to kill ‘em.
The more you love someone,
The more he make you cry

I have to admit that it was pretty funny.

At least Princeton, one of the main characters, is an optimist, too. Like most of us, he's searching for his purpose in life. Here's his first song, "What Do You Do With a BA in English?":

What do you do with a B.A. in English,
What is my life going to be?
Four years of college and plenty of knowledge,
Have earned me this useless degree.

I can't pay the bills yet,
'Cause I have no skills yet,
The world is a big scary place.

But somehow I can't shake,
The feeling I might make,
A difference,
To the human race.

Well, I guess I know more about my purpose than most people. I don't always know what career I'll have and I don't know what will happen in my future, but what I do know is that God loves me no matter what. He sent Jesus to this earth so that I could be in relationship with Him. How awesome is that? I guess a piece of me wanted to tell that to the poor little puppets who had lost their way. We're so like that, aren't we? We need purpose and direction. God can give us all of that and so much more.

No comments: