Monday, March 4, 2013

Learning myself

I feel like I've really been learning a lot about myself lately.

Last week I met with the Waumba leadership team. Whitney gave us each a book, Strengths Finder by Tom Rath, and asked if we would take the test to find our strengths. The idea is that this will help us work together, help each other, and work to our full potential by using our strengths, thus making us an efficient and stronger team.

I took the test and here are my results:

1. Input - basically means I'm curious and I like to know stuff.

2. Developer - I see the potential in others and I'm drawn to people for this very reason.

3. Connectedness - Things happen for a reason. We are part of something larger than ourselves.

4. Learner - I love to learn. The process is more important than the outcome.

5. Empathy - I can sense the emotions of those around me. I can feel what they are feeling as though their feelings are my own.

For some reason I feel like I just put my weight up there...it's so personal. Ha! I had to do some reading and digging to see how accurate I thought they were. Turns out they're pretty spot on!

I never really thought of myself as being such a nerd! Ha! Well, I did, but now I have proof. I know that I can start researching something on the internet and go down little rabbit trails until I look up and it's been three hours and I'm so far from my original reason from researching in the first place. I'm that person who, when someone asks a question, is pulling my phone out to look it up. I work at a library, for goodness' sake!! :) I love people and tend to have a "Pollyanna-esque" outlook on life. I certainly sense emotions and very much feel people's pain (or joy or anxiety or passion or frustrations).

I've always enjoyed taking personality tests and similar tests, but this was different than those. It's good to know my strengths in every area of my life (work, home, church, etc.) so that I can use those strengths and be intentional with the work I do. It's good to know and understand weaknesses, but knowing your strengths will really help you get somewhere.

**********************************

In other news, this is something else I've been pondering and meditating on over the last few weeks:

I'm special and I'm chosen. 

But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
2 Thessalonians 2:13

The Lord has chosen you to be His treasured possession. Deuteronomy 14:12

God chose you, too. I want those words to speak to you for a minute. Like a good friend. A confidante. Let those words ring true in your heart as you meditate on this amazing truth.
God chose you.
You are redeemed.
You are His.

*******************************

I realized just the other day how much I truly do need and enjoy having women in my life with whom I can connect. I've had quite a few opportunities lately to hang with some ladies that I truly enjoy being with. I admire them, respect them and appreciate their friendship.
I am so thankful for friends.

Old friends.
New friends.
Work friends.
Church friends.
And those few friends who cross-over all boundaries into my everyday friends.
There aren't many of those, you know?

I've just been learning myself all over the place lately. :)

No comments: