Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Life.

David got a job. Praise God! We're so incredibly grateful that he's employed. The difficult part is that he's employed at a firm in Winston-Salem. For those of you who are non-native North Carolinians, that's about an hour and a half from our home in Charlotte. Since commuting would mean that David would rarely get to see Xander (David would leave before Xander woke up and get home right as he was going to bed), we talked to our parents who live only 30 minutes from Winston-Salem and have worked out a temporary living situation. The job is also temporary. It's a 3-month contract position. There may be more work for him when the 3 months are up, if they get more projects and if David decides he wants to stay.

So during the week (Monday-Friday) David and Xander are living with Mimi and Papa (my parents). They are so very kind and have been extremely supportive of our situation. They have an upstairs that they rarely use, so David and I have a room, Xander has his own room, and there's an extra living area upstairs that we can make into our den. Unfortunately, it would be equally as silly for me to commute to work from Mocksville to Charlotte, so 2 days out of the week I'm staying alone in Charlotte while Xander gets taken care of by the two best grandmothers ever. Overall it's really a great situation.

I have to admit that I miss my family. It's hard for me to make the seemingly long drive to Charlotte just to end up in an empty house, sleep in an empty bed, and listen to the quiet stillness that is our home. I'm so used to the noises of my baby toddling around saying "Ball!" or "Uh-oh!" in only the way that he can, or feeling David's presence even if he doesn't say much. But, I'm going to do my best to enjoy this time. I'm catching up on some reading, spending time with the Lord (which before now was far too infrequent), and just learning to appreciate the peace and quiet (that I was probably complaining about not having enough of not that long ago).

I keep talking to David about balance. I want some balance in our lives. He's either home all the time or never. I've either constantly got Xander or he's not with me at all. I suppose balance is something that people always strive for, but rarely achieve. My goal is to let God's peace settle over me through this hectic time and not worry so much about achieving balance, just enjoying the adventure of this thing we call life.


"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

No comments: