Monday, August 9, 2010

Xander update - 18 months

Where to begin?? My little man is growing up so quickly! On the 24th of this month he'll be 18 months old. It's hard to believe that it was 2 years ago that David and I were making the announcement that we would be parents. What a road we've traveled since then!

Xander's been using sign language for quite some time and regularly signs more, please, thank you, and milk. It's so hard to resist him when he cocks his little head and signs "please" when he wants something. He's really starting to use a lot of words now, too. He probably has about 20 words in his vocabulary. Among them are: Daddy, Mama, Mimi, ball, baba, hey, water, no, banana, eww, Elmo, bubble, waffle, bath, star, vacuum (yes, he says vacuum - it kind of sounds like dadoo, but I know what he's talking about), and Aunt E (though it usually comes out E-oo, much to our delight and amusement). He also makes lots of animals sounds. I don't know which one is my favorite, but it would probably be a tie between his bear sound and his bird sound. He can also do a cat, dog, cow, and lion (which is pretty much his bear sound...and his dinosaur sound).

He understands so much. The other day I sang the "clean up song", asked him to go get something and put it away and he did! He throws trash away, plays toddler games on the iPad, and asks for Elmo. He gives hugs and kisses on command and spontaneously. He usually listens when I say no, though he might stick his lip out, bury his head in my chest, squeeze out tears, knit his eyebrows together in disappointment, shake his little head, or any combination of those things.

He can almost run now. He walks very well and is really getting the clumsy toddler-jog down. He enjoys chasing after his cousins - and it won't be long before he catches up to them!

He loves to eat! His favorite foods are probably peanut butter, waffles, yogurt and applesauce. He also loves coffee and chocolate, but he doesn't get a whole lot of those - unless he's with his grandparents!

His favorite toy is a ball. He has a specific one that he prefers, but any ball will do in a pinch. He also enjoys his swing on Mimi's back porch. He loves books and will often ask for the same book to be read over and over. Right now he's really into a book called "I see a Monster." My aunt Karen would be so proud. :)

There are so many things that I love about my little boy. But mostly, I love how sweet and happy he is. He always has been. He brings joy to everyone he comes in contact with. I'm enjoying watching him grow, change, learn, and develop. It's such a pleasure to be his mother!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Aww, he's so big now! How exciting all those new things he can do. I can't wait to see him again!