Thursday, September 6, 2012

Books I've read: May - August, 2012



1. Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis
Good, fun fiction. It was a quick read, kind of a "fluff" book as I call them. Not much content, but fun and enjoyable.


2. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Pretty much the opposite of the book above. This is a true story about an Olympic runner and WWII bombardier. His plane crashed over the Pacific. He was thought dead, but instead survived on a raft for over 40 days only to be captured by the Japanese and held in a concentration camp for over two years. His story is one of amazement and awe. The fact that he lived to tell his story is powerful, but that he had a heart of forgiveness and allowed God to change his life forever makes it even more moving. I highly recommend this book!





3. The Upper Room by Mary Monroe
This is the first African American fiction I've ever read. I chose to read it because the author, Mary Monroe, came to the library to speak. It was not my first choice in books, but I'm glad I broke out of some of my typical genres to try something new. The story was racy and at times, a bit crazy, but it was a fairly fun read.


4. The Silence of Mockingbirds by Karen Spears Zacharias
Not.a.fun.read. So very sad. This is one of those books that looked intriguing at the start, was horrifying as I read it, but I couldn't put it down. It's kind of like a car accident where you can't help but look at the damage. I read this book and cried. But I was thankful that the author wrote it, seeing as how it can open up people's eyes to the things that can happen to children and the things to watch out for regarding child abuse. It made me feel even more blessed to have such wonderful people in my children's lives who love them and care for them so wholeheartedly. And it made me appreciate how absolutely amazing it is to have my children in my life each and every day. I am so thankful for this time that God has given to me to spend with them.




5. The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper
I have a love/hate relationship with Bob Harper. I am so thankful for his realistic, honest, transparent advice. I also hate to follow it. :) But I'm getting there.

No comments: