Monday, November 17, 2014

Xander's field trip to the pumpkin patch

I had the privilege of going with Xander and his class on their field trip to the pumpkin patch. 

The funniest part of the day for me was when the kids got there. All the parents rode separately and I had gotten there early, so I was just waiting on their bus to get there. As soon as they started walking to their designated spot, I started walking toward them. I spotted Xander, walked over to him and said hey. I reached out to put my arm around him and give him a squeeze, but instead of letting me hug him, he shook my hand.
Listen, folks. I am his MOTHER. And he shook my hand. At first I was a bit miffed, but then after I thought about it, I just laughed. That's so Xander! Remember how I said he is a compartmentalizer? I really think it threw him off to see me at his school field trip! He warmed up to the idea of me being there, but it took awhile! How funny is that?

Anyway, the trip was fun. We fed animals and learned about growing vegetables and fruits and all the work that goes into running a farm. The kids got to help build a scarecrow and each child picked out their own pumpkin. There was a hayride through the fields, filled with decorated hay bales. I enjoyed getting to know some of his classmates and teachers. It was a beautiful day!












No comments: