Thursday, May 7, 2015

What you do matters.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that we're important in this world. It can be difficult to remember that we matter and that we're making a difference. What a sweet moment when we're reminded of that.
Mrs. Joy sent me this text of one of her student's essays. She's in 3rd grade now, so she hasn't been to Joy's in over 4 years. I am so proud of this little girl and how the things that Mrs. Joy has taught her have stayed with her. I'm so thankful that she took my joy of reading with her and that it left an impression on her. 

Today the library had a festival called Storyvine. Storytellers from all over the county went to 60 different schools and performed traditional storytelling. I remember very few things from my school experiences in childhood, but that is one thing that I remember - storytellers. How wonderful it was to give back in this way. I hope that children across the county were able to hold onto their storyteller's love of stories and reading and will carry it in their hearts for years to come.


Not only do I need to remind myself that I matter in my career, but I also need to be reminded of the amazing role and responsibility I have in raising my own children. That's my other "job" and certainly the most important one.

I must say that though my children are at the very tip-top of my priority list, I realize that my love for them is beyond compare - and there are children out there who may never experience the love and attention they need to succeed in this world. I think about that when I go to work and I look into those little faces with those bright eyes and hopeful smiles. Even when I'm away from my babies, I know that what I do matters. If they are able to see even a glimpse of Jesus through me, then my job here is done. I hope to empower them to be the best version of them that they can be in this world.

No comments: