Friday, May 13, 2016

Books I've Read - January-April 2016

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
by Betty Smith
This was a good book. So beautifully written. It got slow at times, but I truly enjoyed it. I would recommend it for sure.


A Career of Evil
by Robert Galbraith
Def my fave of the Cormoran Strike novels. This was a great detective novel. A bit more personal with the characters, which I liked. I think that's what made it my favorite. I liked getting to know the main characters even more.


All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr
Beautiful. I loved it. The language is exquisite. The story, fascinating. If you love literary fiction please go get this book. If you love World War II stories literary fiction then you'll be in heaven over this book.


Out of Sorts
Sarah Bessey
Y'all. To think that Sarah and Jen Hatmaker are friends makes so much sense. I am so challenged by and incredibly grateful for this book.


Jesus > Religion
by Jefferson Bethke
Read this for my book club. Go read it. It's so true. It is so hard for me lately to love Christians, but I love Jesus and followers of Jesus. It's those folks who call themselves Christians but act nothing like Jesus that are driving me a bit crazy lately.


Interrupted
by Jen Hatmaker
Oh, Jen. Let's be friends. She is amazing. Challenging. Hopeful. Real. This book did not disappoint. And it has certainly caused me to step back and take a look at my life. She's wrecked me all over again. My friend, Crystal, and I are going to start a Bible study together around this book. So excited!


The Lake House
by Kate Morton
Great read! Goes back and forth between early 20th century and 2003, plus it's a detective novel. Kind of like two of my favorite genres put together - a period piece and mystery. I recommend it.


Redeeming Love
by Francine Rivers
I know I've read this book half a dozen times, but I cannot express to you how great it is. I glean something new from it each time I read it. I absolutely love the story, what it's about, and how God loves us enough to allow us to go through pain so we can grow closer to Him. My book club read this for March, so that's why I picked it up again, but I am so glad! It's always a book I recommend so, of course, my book club wanted to read it. It's been a few years since I read it last (before Amelia Jayne was born, I think) and it hits home to me in a new and different way each time, just as it did this time. LOVE. IT.


Radical by David Platt
Whew! This book was intense! Intense because it was so challenging and real. I enjoyed it immensely. I am thankful to have read it and am continuing even now to reflect on it.


Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers
Nothing has topped Redeeming Love for me as far as Francine Rivers books. This one was good, but it lacked the depth and emotion that RL evokes. I wouldn't say "run out and get this book right now," but I would say that it was worth the read.

No comments: