Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ready for potty training?

I've had a lot of time to think about this next step. A little over two years, to be exact. Hmmm. I'm still not ready. I don't even know if Xander's ready, but I'm so nervous about this step I can barely even get myself ready! I've been doing some research and came across a website that seems to have some good tips and helpful suggestions. I think I might be a little more ready now.

First I'm going to stock up on big boy underwear (with some of his favorite characters like Elmo and Lightning McQueen). I already have a big box of pull-ups thanks to my generous mother-in-law. Maybe she was giving me a hint? ;) I think I may also buy some of the waterproof training pants. I've read that it's easier for the child to tell they're wet and then also to become uncomfortable and want to use the potty. Xander already has a little potty, but he's almost outgrown it! Let's just say when he sits down, certain parts are NOT aimed in the right direction...and really can't be because it won't fit! It also doubles as a foot-stool, so we'll still get use out of it when he washes his hands. Instead of using that for potty purposes, I'm going to buy a potty chair that fits over the big potty.

I think I'm going to attempt the three-day potty training method also known as the Naked Method. This requires him being naked for pretty much three days and I don't know if I can handle that. :) This could be an adventure. First, I think I will show him his underwear, let him wear them and talk about going to the potty, etc. He already knows what a potty is for, goes in with both David and me when we go, knows the right potty words, and hates wearing a diaper, so I'm hoping that's good enough preparation to help him along this journey.

Wish me luck! Any words of wisdom from you moms and dads out there??

No comments: