Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The other day when we were playing outside, we found a bush covered in caterpillars. They were very intriguing to me, so I looked them up. I work at a library. It's what I do. :)
Here are some pictures of my kids holding and looking at a Black Swallowtail caterpillar. I saw at least two chrysalides (this is the plural of chrysalis...I had to look it up. You can listen to the pronunciation here) so I'm sure we'll see some black swallowtails flying around here in a few days!










For the record, I was the one who plucked this caterpillar off the bush and held it for my children. It crawled all over my hands and theirs, too. My husband would not touch it. I thought that was funny.

*No caterpillars were harmed in the making of this blog post.