Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Now We Are Six

When I was One,
I had just begun.


When I was Two,
I was nearly new.

When I was Three,
I was hardly Me.

When I was Four,
I was not much more.

When I was Five,
I was just alive.

But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

from "Now We Are Six"
by A.A. Milne


"Clever as clever" perfectly describes my boy. :)
And how in the world does time keep flying by so quickly?
Six...
In some ways I do wish he could be six forever and ever, but that would get old, too. Each stage brings its own challenges and delights.

Right now I am delighting in my son's independence, his desire to be just like his daddy and do everything his daddy does, his interest in sports, his evident desire and aptitude for school, his sweet hugs (and sometimes tackles) for his sister, his obvious love for his family, and his darling heart that longs to please.

As that sweet boy grows, my love for him grows, too. We were talking the other day and he was fascinated by the fact that he was the one who made me a mommy. He asked me if I'd always wanted to be a mommy and I told him that I always had and that he's the person who allowed me to be just what I'd always wanted. He pondered that for quite awhile.

This morning we got more snow and school was canceled. Although it messed with our plans to have lunch together at school and bring cupcakes to his friends, we're both happier hanging out together at home. :)

My movie-watching, snuggle buddy, birthday boy!

No comments: