Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Work - Every Child Ready to Read (a new version)

Remember this post...and this one...and this one...and this one...and this one...and this one...and this one? Ha! Well, it's still going!! The grant was for 3 years and we're now in our 4th of 6 sessions. I've had two childcare centers each 6 months, so I'm now with my 7th and 8th centers. It has proven to be an amazing program and I'm so honored to be a part of it. I love giving 15 books to each child and 50 books to each childcare center when the program ends. It is a wonderful feeling!

Interestingly, though, in the middle of this grant, the model we've been using changed. "Every Child Ready to Read" no longer uses the 6 pre-reading skills they originally taught (see the posts above) but has changed it to the 5 simple practices to help children get ready to read. My department posted about this a couple of weeks ago on our outreach blog.

We will continue to use ECRR first edition because that's what the grant states we will use. I'm excited to learn more about the practices in the second edition, though. I'll try to post more about them as I learn them - very exciting!

No comments: