Monday, October 7, 2013

Someone else can do it better.

I read an article this morning. Emily Freeman is my hero lots of days of the week. Today is no exception.

Because of her I'm starting to think of myself as an artist. Not the musician kind. Not the paints on canvas kind. Not the cool hipster, tattooed, toms wearing kind. But the human kind. We're all artists in our own way. And even if I don't write moving poems or sing with the voice of angels, what I do is art. I was created to create. I was created to love well.

From that earlier article mentioned above, Emily writes about 3 paralyzing statements that keep us from our best work. The first statement is

"Someone else can do this better."

This is true. And that's her point. Agree with this statement. 
As she says - 
"You don’t have to be the best one saying or living something true. You just have to be yourself."
And I will add that you have to accept yourself for who you are. Love yourself. Pick yourself.


As I write these words I hear my little loves downstairs helping their daddy make me a birthday breakfast. (My birthday was yesterday, but my husband knew he wouldn't have to time to make me breakfast on a Sunday, especially with the kids' help.)
And something hits me. 
I don't feel like a great mom most of the time. Most days I feel like I yell and chastise and discipline all day long.
I realize someone could do this job better. But I also realize that I was the one given this gift - these two little people.
And I have peace and take comfort in knowing that God knew what he was doing. He was the one who gave me these beautiful gifts. I will do my best and with His grace, they will be okay. And so will I. :)

No comments: