Monday, October 14, 2013

Tesser well

I finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle last week. Why in the world did I not read that book as a kid??
It's one of my favorite books. Of all time. I think I will have to read it again.
Thank you to When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (who alludes to Wrinkle in her story). I didn't LOVE When You Reach Me. I mainly read it because there was a long thread of emails about it by some co-workers and it interested me. But I'm so glad I did as it introduced me to the classic by Ms. L'engle.
I don't even know where to begin with this book. In fact, I sat down to write this post last week when I had finished, but I felt that I needed some time to process it before I could put my thoughts and feelings into words. I absolutely love so many things about this book.

At the end when Mrs. Whatsit compares life to a sonnet - that is one of the most beautiful things I have read in a long time. It makes so much sense to me. Read it for yourself:

 "[A sonnet] is a very strict form of poetry, is it not?"
"Yes."
"There are fourteen lines, I believe, all in iambic pentameter. That's a very strict rhythm or meter, yes?"
"Yes." Calvin nodded.
"And each line has to end with a rigid rhyme pattern And if the poet does not do it exactly this way, it is not a sonnet, is it?"
"No."
"But within this strict form the poet has complete freedom to say whatever he wants, doesn't he?"
"Yes." Calvin nodded again.
"So," Mrs Whatsit said.
"So what?"
"Oh, do not be stupid, boy!" Mrs Whatsit scolded. "You know perfectly well what I am driving at!"
"You mean you're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?"
"Yes," Mrs Whatsit said. "You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you."

What you say is completely up to you.
What you do with your life is completely up to you.
Fantastic words to remember.

And not to ruin the book or anything, but LOVE WINS.

I love, love, love how it comes full circle to the mantra of my life.
Love wins.

No comments: