Wednesday, September 28, 2011

History

So maybe you know this and maybe you don't. David and I have a history. A loooong history. I mean, like, I've known him for 26 years. 
(That makes us sound really old, right? But we're not. That goes on record. We're NOT old.) 

He and I were in the same kindergarten class. In fact, we were in the same kindergarten, first grade, second grade, and fifth grade class, some sixth grade, seventh grade, and eighth grade classes, and at least one ninth grade class together. Not to mention some extracurricular activities, too.

It's pretty cool. We know a lot about each other. He saw me through my awkward stages and I saw him through his. We can mention names like Jesse Rutter and Bethany Hoose and know exactly what the other is thinking. We have some of the same memories, only they're from our own perspectives. I was the reason he got grounded the first time (because he bit my finger - we were like 7 or something and I'm sure I was waving my finger in his face). It's kind of like remembering my childhood from someone else's perspective. And David has such a good memory. I love when he talks about our past because I feel like I'm learning new things! Ha!

But the funny thing is that we really didn't pay any attention to each other when we were young. David's sister, Becky, and I played all the time. We had/have a lot in common even though she's three years younger than me. My sister, Erin, and David hung out a lot because they have similar personalities. Which is to say that they were both okay doing their own thing and not hanging out with anyone.

But I pay a lot of attention to him now :). He's my best friend. I love him. I'm glad God brought us together when he did and not any earlier. Sometimes I wonder what it would've been like to be in love with him all those years ago and I just think about how hard that would've been. I wouldn't have wanted to move to Texas during my high school years, which would have been tragic. A lot of good happened to me in Texas, during both high school and college. All the events that made us who we are today probably wouldn't have happened in the same way. And I wouldn't change that. David's perfect for me just the way he is. Quirks and all. :)


My big sis, Erin, me, David, and David's little sis, Becky.
My sister was actually the tallest (now she's the shortest) and Becky was the runt (she's now the tallest girl of the group)! Erin was about 10 years old, I was 7, David was 7 and Becky was 4.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What a sweet post! Love yall's story!