Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sick and Preschool Orientation

I apologize for my lack of blogging lately. A stomach bug had me down last week and I was still recuperating over the weekend. Things are getting back to normal now! I've been playing catch up at work and still continuing to run around crazy (though I should probably try to take it a little easier) doing Waumba curriculum at church and getting together with friends who are about to give birth or who have recently had a child. Never a dull moment!

David, Xander and I went to Xander's preschool orientation on Tuesday night. I was so proud of him! We went to "meet the teacher" first. His teachers, Ms. Jean and Ms. Lindsey seem very sweet. They seem like a great team and a perfect combination for Xander. Ms. Jean is soft-spoken and gentle, Ms. Lindsey seems energetic and fun. They'll be really good for Xander, I'm sure.

Ms. Jean kindly told us, "We'll work on learning our letters and numbers, recognizing them, and learning our colors. Does Xander know his alphabet?" I suppressed a laugh and just nodded saying, "Yes, he does!" Then Xander proceeds to go over to the door and point out the letters in everyone's names. I didn't want to tell her that he's already spelling some words on his own, can count to 40, and recognizes upper and lower case letters! Of course, this whole experience is more to help Xander with his social skills then to improve his academics. Maybe it will boost his self-confidence to already know most of the things that will be taught! I am excited that they're also going to learn their days of the week, sing songs and read stories during circle time, and do some arts and crafts. I have a hard time getting Xander interested in arts and crafts. Perhaps when he sees the other children participating he'll be more interested. All in all, I'm very pleased and excited about this program! It makes me want to go back to school hearing all the fun things they'll be doing! Ha!

He had a great time playing with the cars, trucks and tractors while the other kids and their parents came in the room. All the parents were kind and friendly, always introducing themselves and chatting with me. When it was time for David and I to leave for the parent meeting, I told Xander we'd see him later. He was across the room playing, glanced up briefly and went back to playing. Wow! I was so impressed and happy about that. No tantrums or tears. Very cool. Then they all played outside on the playground while the parents met.

The director told us that the teachers have a prayer time before class starts each day. Each classroom has circle time, prayer time, outside time, lunchtime, and play time daily. She told us some rules and important information and then we were finished! They have some fun things planned like a Fall Festival, Easter egg hunt, Parents Night Out, picture day, etc.

Xander will be going to preschool every Tuesday from 9:30-1:15 and if things go well we'll be adding Thursdays in January. So excited for my big boy!

No comments: