Thursday, September 5, 2013

Books I've Read - May-August 2013


A Land More Kind Than Home
by Wiley Cash
I listened to this story on audiobook in the car. Sometimes, if a book is read really well, it's almost worth listening to it instead of reading it yourself. This was one of those. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed this book on its own, but hearing the voices of Adelaide Lyle and Clem Barefield made it more likeable. Their voices were soothing, caring and kind. I guess it just goes to show that you're never too old to be read to. :)




Kisses from Katie
by Katie Davis
Oh how I love stories like this. I get so caught up that I want to be a missionary, too! It seems crazy that I have to remind myself that I have children and a husband to care for. I wanted to go to Africa as a missionary so badly while I was in college. I planned to go for a year after graduation, but it didn't work out for me. I researched it, looked into it, called, even began making plans in my head! But it just wasn't meant to be. I admire Katie so much. I could NOT do what she does. Each. And. Every. Day. But I admire her and people like her. I hope to visit Africa one day - maybe I can go on a mission trip with my children and meet up with Katie there. :)

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
by Ayana Mathis
A recommendation from my mom. I'm pretty sure she wanted someone to read it so she could chat about it with them. I would not recommend it, though. It was interesting and intriguing, yet disjointed. It was fairly sad without much joy throughout. Overall, not my kind of book.







Sparkly Green Earrings
by Melanie Shankle
I laughed so hard! Very true, relatable and hilarious - for all mothers out there. I am so glad I read this book. Rarely does a book make me laugh out loud, much less spray coffee out of my nose whilst reading it. My sides still hurt from the laughter. :) Thank you, Melanie Shankle. Well done.







Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
I was fascinated by this book. The imagery, the amazing happenings, the wonder of it all. I truly enjoyed it. The end threw me for a loop. I won't spoil the ending. I'm just amazed at the wonder and beauty and depth of feeling we see past each and every day simply because it's unbelievable.
David and I are going to have a date night soon and rent it. I'm looking forward to it. And I know he is, too, since I talked about this book incessantly while reading it.




The Age of Miracles
by Karen Thompson Walker
Eh. It was an interesting premise and I had hoped for a great story. It just wasn't. A tad bit juvenile - since the main characters were in middle school and the subject matter didn't seem overly adult, I think it should have been categorized as "Young Adult Fiction" but it was just "Fiction"...as in, for adults. (I'm not knocking YA fiction...I have read many YA novels that I love and which far surpass this book.) The story didn't develop as much as I would have liked. Disappointing.




Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Supposedly one of the summer's hottest novels (it came out last summer, so maybe it was last summer's hottest novel, idk). Rarely do I read novels when they're popular, but I got on this one early purely by accident. I read a review on it, put it on hold at the library and had it in just a couple of weeks. Now I seem to be hearing about it everywhere. Plus, looks like Reese Witherspoon is making a movie out of it.
It was interesting. It had a couple of plot twists (though I called the main one long before it was revealed in the book), but the ending was a tad disappointing.


One Thousand Gifts
by Ann Voskamp
As my husband says after I described the premise of this book to him while at the beach, "Not really a typical person's beach read." I'd have to agree. I also agree that I'm not your typical person. I tend to pick up very heavy or inspiring books when I'm on vacation. I don't really know why. However, this is a great book. It'll really get you thinking. And praying.
*I have to admit that I'm not quite finished with this one. I will be in just a week or so, though, so I figured I'd go ahead and add it here. I also bought the devotional recently, so I may post more about this book as I go through the devotional.





The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
Oh, John Green. How I've missed thee. I forgot until I started reading this book just how much I do like his books. They're so witty and charming and you can't help but like the strange cast of characters. They're all very endearing, really. I had read An Abundance of Katherines before and really enjoyed it, so when I saw this one come out I thought I would give it a peek. I may check out Finding Alaska next...I wanted to read it a long time ago and just forgot about it. Anyway, this Young Adult novel is fantastic. It will make you LOL, cry, smirk, smile and overall appreciate life more. I am so glad to have read it.
Apparently there's going to be a movie based on this book, too.

Sex God
by Rob Bell

I cannot say enough about Rob Bell's books, sermons, videos, etc. He is such an amazing thinker who comes up with many ways of looking at things that I would never have seen on my own. I'm always very challenged and encouraged after reading Rob Bell's books. This book is no exception. It fit very nicely with the series "Future Family" that we're doing at church right now. I highly recommend this book. And don't forget about another of my favorite Rob Bell books Love Wins.



 



No comments: