Monday, January 13, 2014

Coconut Oil

Ummm, so do y'all know about the benefits of coconut oil? I had heard of great uses for coconut oil over the past few months, bought a big tub of the stuff not long after I heard about it, but only about a month ago started using it regularly. I haven't started taking it internally yet, but have thoroughly seen improvements on the outside.

I have been using it on my skin as a lotion for about a month. It is amazing how soft it makes my skin. Even David commented on it! I started using it on Amelia Jayne because she and I both have some eczema issues. Her eczema really flares up, probably because she's so young and the weather has been bitterly cold.

Recently I used it as a deep conditioner for my hair. I was nervous at first after talking to a friend of mine who used it and had to shampoo her hair 5 times to get the stuff out. I decided to focus on the ends and not even use it on my scalp. I kept it in overnight, slept with a shower cap on (definitely doing this one when David was at his Mom's with the kids and I was alone) and showered the next morning. Everything I read said to shampoo your hair twice to get it out, but I shampooed my hair three times as an extra precaution. It turned out great! I think I probably could have washed it just twice. I'll be trying that next time. I dried my hair and didn't add any other product. I straightened my hair and it looked pretty terrific. I was surprised, considering I didn't use any other products. I tend to have frizzy hair, but it wasn't frizzy at all. Of course, environment plays a huge role in my hair. If the weather is humid, hot, dry, cold, or many other combinations.

I don't know how many of these uses I'll try, but there sure are a lot!

These are the ones I've tried: 

4. Use as a super conditioner on your hair (apply to dry hair, leave in as long as possible and then shampoo as normal).
5. Use as a styling agent if you have really dry hair. Just rub a tiny bit on your palms and apply to your hair and style as normal.
6. Keep a little container in your purse for lip moisturizer.
11. Use a tiny dab on your underarms for a natural deodorant
21. Use on the delicate tissue around your eyes to help prevent wrinkles and sagging.
23. Use in place of massage oil.
49. Use on cracked or rough heals to help smooth them out.
50. Massage into your nails and cuticles to help strengthen them.
71. Use on color-treated hair for extra conditioning hair treatment.
77. Use to help control and reduce eczema and/or psoriasis symptoms.

I would do them all again! Except for maybe #11...it didn't seem to do much either way. I do have a friend who swears by a recipe she has - it has arrowroot powder and corn starch in it. We'll see...
Note about #5 - I used the coconut oil to tame fly-aways, not really as a styling agent. My hair's not  dry enough to warrant that.

 
I'm interested in trying these:

2. Use it as the base for a homemade body scrub.
3. Use to condition your wooden cutting boards.
8. Replace nasty, unhealthy vegetable oils in your kitchen with coconut oil.
12. Use coconut oil instead of shaving cream.
13. Add to your bath tub for a moisturizing soak

22. Use as the base for homemade toothpaste or lotion. (not sure about homemade toothpaste, but it sounds interesting!)
38. Use as a metal polish, but always test a small area first.
39. Use as a leather moisturizer.
40. Season your cast iron pans.
41. Use to oil your pans and baking dishes instead of pan spray.
42. Got gum stuck in your hair? Try using coconut oil to remove without cutting your hair. (hoping not to have to use this, but I'll keep it in mind if needed)
43. Use instead of WD-40. 
61. Use on pimples and acne. (I'm nervous about this - oil on acne?? Hmmm...)
62 Use on toast instead of butter (best cinnamon toast ever!).
64. Use a little bit on a damp cloth to clean a scummy shower. Wipe with coconut oil, then spray with white vinegar and wipe dry.
65. Use to treat lice. (again, I hope to not have to use this, but you never know!)
85. Helps smooth wrinkles and shrink pores. (again with the use of oil on my pores...I just don't know)
94. Use coconut oil to detail the inside of your car (add a little to a soft cloth and polish).
109. Use on your plant’s leaves instead of chemical-filled leaf shine. (if I had plants, that is...)
111. Use to remove chewing gum from your shoe, carpet, or other unsavory areas where gum has gotten stuck. (see number 42)

If you have pets there seem to be lots of uses for them, as well.

Anybody heard of oil pulling? I might try that, too...

No comments: