Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ephesians 4:2

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Hmmm...I have not been heeding this command lately.  When we returned from Cancun, I was so relaxed and ready, or so I thought, to come home and carry on our lives as usual.  Friday, my first full day with Xander since we returned, was a disaster!  We never got out of our pjs, there were at least 4 good tantrums before lunch, naptime was full of screams and crying, the nap was short - only 45 minutes - and when he woke up crying again and clinging to Mommy, I knew this was just how the day would be.  The only way I could get him to calm down was to put on Elmo - and hold him.  He would NOT let me put him down!  I was afraid he was getting sick, but I've since decided that my poor sweet baby missed me.  He doesn't know how to tell me that he's angry and sad that I left him for a week. Even if he was with two of the most loving grandmothers of all time, it still wasn't his routine and he missed his parents.

There were many times on Friday that I wasn't humble, gentle, patient or bearing with Xander in love!  I got so frustrated at his tantrums, annoyed that he would only do things one way, and exasperated that he wouldn't let me put him down when I had things to get done!  I think what I really needed to do was just sit and spend some time with my little boy.  Wow.  I just really missed the mark this time.

I worked yesterday and David stayed at home with Xander.  In my head I kept thinking, "I'll get a call pretty soon about how rotten Xander's being," or "I hate to leave David at home with Xander on his day off when Xander's been acting like such a pill." Around noon I got a call from David to find out if I wanted to meet them at Chick-fil-A for lunch.  They'd had a great morning!  They vacuumed and swept together, Xander played with the teapot while Daddy washed dishes, David got a shower and Xander got a bath - he'd been a little angel!  I met them at Chick-fil-A and Xander was contentedly playing in the kids' play area with all the other little kids.  We got lunch and he sat and ate perfectly in the booth.  He was so good we even allowed him to have an ice cream cone - since he asked. :) They came back to the library and played for a little while until they went home for Xander's nap.

I guess I learned my lesson.  The next time Xander's having a bad day I need to just step back, spend some time with him and remember Ephesians 4:2.  That is definitely a verse I'll be praying the next few days.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh what a sweet reminder. We have those days too and it's so hard to not be distracted by all the other things that need to be done. Sometimes I forget how important it is to just be still and sit with my baby. You'd think that would be so easy but at times it's not when you are pulled in many different directions.