Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lots of Links and Interesting Information

This may be useless information or might be kind of fun, but I thought I'd share some links with you.  Some are new and some are old, but I thought each of them worthy to share with you.

The director of libraries for Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system, Charles Brown, will step down in June.   Here is the article about those changes.  There will also be many changes for our county in the near future that will directly affect the library, as well as many other county agencies. 

I've started reading through the Bible chronologically this year.  I find it so interesting to read through the Bible in the order these historical happenings took place.  Who knew Job comes in the middle of Genesis?!  I love this online version of the Bible - you can get it in any translation, look up reading plans, keep track of what you've read and it's also a mobile app.

My friend, Patrick, blogged about this the other day.  Let's change the world together!

The Pioneer Woman has been a favorite for a long time, but for those of you that don't know about her check out her website!  My sister actually made this cake from her recipes about a year ago or so - we didn't tell anyone (she only told me) what was in it until after they'd eaten it.  And they all loved it!  It was really good.  In fact, I'll have to make that sometime soon. :)

If you live in Charlotte check out The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar at SouthPark.   I haven't eaten there, but have a lunch date with some girlfriends very soon.  It looks super-yummy!!

Just the other day David and I were talking about how the British pronounce the word aluminum.  I had no idea it was different than the way we pronounce it!  Then I was reading this blog yesterday and that blogger posted something about it, too!  Go to this site to hear any word you could possibly think of pronounced.  And definitely plug in the word aluminum spoken by the British!  Too funny!

My friend, Geri, and I worked at the library together until last year.  I remember one day while we were working neither of us really knew how to pronounce Jon Scieska's name, so being librarians at heart, we researched until we found this awesome website that pronounces the names of children's authors. You can look up difficult-to-pronounce authors' names like Wendelin Van Draanen, Cynthia Kadohata, Coleen Murtagh Paratore, and Chris Raschka, or even hear interesting facts about easier-to-pronounce author's names like Margaret Pererson Haddix, Nikki Grimes, and Tony Abbott.
*Interesting side note - I've met all of the above-mentioned authors before!  Pretty cool!


“You can always trust the information given to you by people who are crazy; they have an access to truth not available through regular channels.”
-Sheila Ballantyne

No comments: