Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner

I just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  I literally just put the book down and came straight to my computer to write a post about it.  Let's see if I can actually write this post through the tears that still linger in my eyes.  This is the best book I've read in a very long time.  I was totally sucked in to the story.  I cried many times, felt the emotions of the narrator, loved the descriptive writing.  It was really beautiful.  It's not a light-hearted book.  Don’t read it if you want all hearts and puppies, but it is powerful – a story everyone can relate to and feel the humanity in each chapter.

I read it in a week.  That’s pretty impressive for me these days.  Between parenting, cleaning, cooking, work, spending time with my husband, church, small group, quiet times, exercising, an all-day Waumba curriculum meeting, a birthday party, a musical, spending time with friends and family – how much time did I really have to read this week anyway?  I went to church Sunday night and talked to my friends, Patrick and Crystal, who have also read the book.  I told them I had 100 pages left.  Patrick said, “How did you put it down with only 100 pages left?”  I just looked at him and said, “BecauseI have a kid.”  Seriously, that’s the only reason I didn’t read this story straight through. It was brilliant.  HIGHLY recommended.

No comments: